Pence says coronavirus may be ‘largely in the past’ by summer
Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that the White House believes the coronavirus epidemic will be âlargely in the pastâ by this summer.
Pence gifted the timeline in an employment interview with The Wall Street Journal podcast.
âWe truly do believe as we move forward, with responsibly beginning to reopen the economy in state after state around the country, that by early June, we could be at a place where this coronavirus epidemic is largely in the past,â Pence stated.
âAmericans are going to be able to enjoy a good summer,â he said.
President Trump last week introduced a three-phase plan for stateâs to get their economies going again.
Under the rules, in order to begin the phased opening, states need in order to demonstrate a downward trajectory associated with COVID-19 cases over a 14-day period plus a ârobustâ system intended for testing medical workers.
Some small businesses in Georgia, although, a state that has not as yet met the recommended benchmarks, may reopen on Friday. The stateâs governor, Brian Kemp, made the decision on Monday.
Pence, who heads the White House coronavirus task force, told the podcast that he didnât get the better of Kemp or other governors via reopening their stateâs economies.
âThe president has the view that weâve given those governors our very best counsel,â said Pence. âWe want to defer to the governors about what they deem to be most appropriate.â
But President Trump on Wednesday evening said he disagrees with Kempâs move, saying he thinks âitâs too soonâ to reopen businesses like locks and nail salons.
âBut he has to do what he thinks is right,â Trump said.